The sheer stupidity of Naked And Afraid on the Discovery Channel is what makes the show so much fun to watch. If you have never seen this show, the basic concept is that a man and a woman are placed naked in a jungle or an island and must survive for almost 3 weeks. They are complete strangers, and the first time they ever see each other they are naked.
There is not enough space to list all the ridiculous items in this series, so we will just touch on some of the most hilarious;
- The show takes itself SO seriously. As viewers, we are somehow supposed to believe that these people are really in danger. This; despite the fact that the “survivalists” are at all times surrounded by a Camera Crew, a Sound Technician, a Director, and all the laborers who carry the food, equipment and set-up camps for these crews.
- We are supposed to pretend that nakedness is part of a normal survival scenario.
Through the years, there have been many true stories of people suddenly being thrust into desperate survival situations. Planes have crashed in a jungle. There are shipwrecks. Storms have destroyed homes. In any of these real situations, the people were afraid, but they were certainly not naked. The naked component is there for the sole purpose of increasing ratings.
- The naked people are pixelated. Since the Discovery Channel is on basic cable, it cannot show naked genitalia or naked female breasts. However, they do get around this as much as possible by blurring only the absolute minimum. Viewers can get a very good idea of exactly what the naked people look like. There is also the titillating feature that the people move around a lot and the blurring does not always keep up with the movement. There is no doubt that many of the viewers watch the show hoping to get a glance of something forbidden. If this seems cynical, just take a look at the comments on the internet. The most common question people ask about Naked and Afraid is “Where can I see a version of the show without anything blurred out?” The disappointing answer is “Nowhere.” However, we all know that eventually someone is going to steal an uncensored print and release a truly naked version of the show on the internet.
- The contestants are good-looking exhibitionists. Take a look at the contestants in the picture shown above. Do their bodies look like those of the “average” American who might get caught in a survival situation? Of course not. They have great bodies, and love showing them to people. If your plane crashed on a remote island chances are you would be with a bunch of middle aged fat people rather than the very sexy Jane & Tarzan types we see here.
- Many of the contestants don’t make clothing.
Despite the fact that it is easy to make some basic coverings from palm leaves or other items, most of the contestants do not. In particular, the men seem to especially enjoy leaving their penises to swing free. There is no doubt that most men would place a top priority on covering up this sensitive part of the anatomy to protect it from sun and scrapes. However, the men on this show, want very much to share their little friend with the world.
Despite all of its flaws, or maybe because of them, the show is actually fun to watch. It does teach you something about human nature. The contestants come to the show with various level of survival skills and we see which skills are useful and which are not. It turns out that the most important skill is a positive attitude and the ability to encourage others. The people who get along and work together do well regardless of their basic skills. Those who argue with each other end up miserable.
Of course, if you are ever really find yourself in a situation like this, here are are the 3 easy to follow steps which will keep you and your partner alive.
- Step 1 – Make weapons from the sticks and rocks all around you. Spears are easy to make and are very effective.
- Step 2 – Use your weapons to attack the Director, Camera & Sound Crews. Take their food, clothing and water which they have been selfishly not sharing with you.
- Step 3 – Put some damn clothing on!
We rate this show Two stars **